About food: What was going on in 1895 when this version (only publicly owned) when "The Scream" was painted by Edvard Munch?
- Maxim's in Paris was founded as a bistro in 1893 by Maxime Gaillard so it celebrated its 2nd anniversary. It is still rockin' & rollin". Popular bistro is no located in other major international cities. For more information on its museum, boats that travel the Seine, shops and more!!
- Maxims-de-Paris link
- Louis Pasteur studied fermentation and food spoilage to find ways to keep foods from spoiling.
- Henry Perky in the US was a pioneer of the "cookless breakfast food" and it was he who first mass produced and nationally distributed ready-to-eat cereal. By 1898, shredded wheat was being sold all over North and South America and Europe.
- Staples for American slaves in 1895 were pork and cornmeal.
- Canadian Immigration 1890-1914 at its peak. Experimentation with wheat growing.
- English sweets were invented peanut brittle (1890) and liquorice allsorts (1899).
- People were using paper drinking straws and the screw top bottle invented by Marvin Stone in the 1880s.
- The first hamburgers were made & sold in Connecticut in 1895 by an American Louis Lassen. He named them hamburgers because the recipe came from sailors in Hambourg, Germany.