Translate

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Product Review - Betty Crocker Molasses Cookie Mix and Ideas




If you try to make those 36 cookies you had better change the cooking directions to under 8 minutes or so.


  • Recipe says you need 1 stick or 1/2 cup butter. No problem. 
  • Recipe says you need 1 TBSN water.  I had to use 2 TBSNS. (Next time I make I am going to use brewed coffee 2 TBSNS to see what happens. I will also add 1/2 tsp. coffee flavoring)
  • Recipe says you need 1 egg. I use LARGE egg that had large yolk.
  • I read instructions wrong and used a TBSN so the cookies were much bigger and I only got 14 (I ate a lot of the dough) so there would have been 16. (no 24 cookies - mine weren't rounded but big.)
  • It said in instructions to put cookies on ungreased cookie sheet. I used parchment paper and since I thought the cookies too big and thick I sprayed with cooking spray!! I baked the cookies 11 minutes. SEE BELOW WHAT I GOT!! Cooking is fun!! Since I didn't make them to give away or for company I will cut them apart!!

I will make them again and not spray the pan!!  I will also use two pans!! Just use parchment paper or foil and NO PAN CLEANING.  I don't mind showing my mistakes because if you have EVER COOKED or BAKED anything you have made 1 or more mistakes along the line. 

  



They taste good!!  



  Other experiments I might try:

Instead of coffee these flavors go well with molasses:

Molasses pairings:

BANANA
GINGER
CINNAMON
CLOVES
SMOKE

This is what your cookies should look like. Nothing in the recipe about putting sugar on the outside which shown on the package photo above. So next time I will sprinkle with granulated sugar. 

NOTE: Don't buy all those colored sugar sprinkles. Make your own CHEAP colored sugars from an easy recipe I got from Sandra Lee on the FoodNetwork.com a few years ago.  Can store them in individual bags and use again. (If you don't have some of the colors use a color wheel or your ingenuity & mix up colors to make colors!!!!!!!!!!!

For your cookies: 

Halloween:  orange and black sugar
Thanksgiving: orange and brown
Christmas: red and green
Valentines Day: pink and/or red
St Patrick's Day: green
Mother's Day: pink and blue
Father's Day: multiple
Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day: red, white and blue
OR USE YOUR IMAGINATION. 
Could put on cakes, cupcakes, pies, etc!!!!!!!!!!!




For colored sanding sugar:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 8 to 10 drops each food coloring in 2 different colors
My notes:  Put the sugar in a plastic bag, add drops of food coloring and zip bag shut and shake around till all sugar is coated. Then open bags and rest the bags.  I would leave bags or bag open a little bit  to make sure the liquid is dry.  



This is what your cookies should look like. There is a SCRATCH cookie recipe at the site on the photo. 







No comments:

Post a Comment