Monday, October 18, 2021
INTERNATIONAL: HERBS AND SPICES 1 - Cilantro and Coriander: Learned something. Cilantro and Coriander are all of the same plant.
Friday, October 15, 2021
INTERNATIONAL: Holidays are coming up: Halloween...: LINK to fast hors-d'oeuvres slideshow and recipes
INTERNATIONAL: Holidays are coming up: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years: Need ideas for HORS D'OEUVRES AKA APPETIZERS AKA MEZE!!
Learned something. Cilantro and Coriander are all of the same plant. First found in King Tut's time they were cultivated by the ancient Egyptians. (information from Wiki)
- The leaves of the Coriander plant are called Cilantro or Chinese parsley or fresh coriander. The leaves have a different taste from the seeds, with citrus overtones.
- The stems of the plant have a different flavor than the leaves. Also a citrusy flavor and sweeter than the leaves.
- The roots of the plant have a different flavor than the leaves and stems. Coriander roots have a deeper, more intense flavour than the leaves. They are used in a variety of Asian cuisines. They are commonly used in Thai dishes, including soups and curry pastes.
- The seeds of the plant (not all coriander plants have seeds - see photo below) have a different flavor from the three above and are called coriander seeds or dhania. The seeds have a lemony citrus flavour when crushed. It is described as warm, nutty, spicy, and orange-flavoured.
- RECIPE LINKS BELOW PHOTOS:
About cilantro and coriander and recipes:
NOTE: What got me interested in this was when I watched a CookingChannel Show on cooking with cilantro/coriander. Here is the link for the recipes on the show this morning:
What is cilantro pesto??
CILANTRO PESTO LINKS
There are lots and lots of recipes that use cilantro and coriander. Just do a google search.
Thursday, October 14, 2021
INTERNATIONAL: Top 50 Tips for Artichokes From Allrecipes...: LINK to Allrecipes.com 50 tips for Artichokes for Home Cooks