The Macedonians who were oppressed by the Turks for 5 centuries came to the US.
Macedonia consisted of Northern Greece, Bulgaria and eastern Yugoslavia.
- Pre-WWII 200,000 came to North America
- United with Bulgarians
- Low wages
- Settled in LA Detroit Toronto as well as Pittsburgh
- They were very active in Pittsburgh community
- They have a a yearly folk festival with dancing
- Founded West Homestead Baking Company: sour dough and rye breads
- Still active: Bulgarian-Macedonian club
A few dishes would be standard:
- Stuffed Cabbage with egg and lemon
- Elia's Stew
- True Macedonian Cheese Pie or Mlechnik
RECIPE LINKS BELOW THESE GENERIC PHOTOS