Translate

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Christine's Eggplant Sandwich



 Christine's Eggplant Sandwich
(Finally wrote this down)
Posted this for my friend at Tea&Biscotti through Twitter @TeaandBiscotti
You might want to follow TeaandBiscotti.
I follow different sites because I want to know more and more about Italy and they have really cool photos of food and people and MORE!!  Check it out!! 


Made the sandwich today, ate it and forgot to take pics. This is not for the person who likes bland food!!
Recipe for One:
One medium (one in photo above that I took would make Recipe for Two) eggplant. 

  1. Peel the eggplant and of course remove the stem.
  2. Slice 1/2 inch slices horizontally starting at the top of the plant (where you see the photo of the stem) because as you go down further to the bottom more seeds appear.
  3. Put the slices in a colander and load up with salt (the salt removes the juices to make it sweeter; as you go along in the season the juices that seep out will become browner; I use Morton's Lite Salt as I don't eat a lot of salt) and let sit in the colander for 15-30 minutes.
  4. Dry the slices off and get the salt off with a paper towel. 
  5. Dip in cornbread meal and fry until brown in EVOO or regular oil.  DO NOT put the slices in the frying pan until the oil is hot or the eggplant will be oily and the corn meal will fall off. 
  6. Remove slices from oil and drain on a plate covered with paper towels. Let them sit a little; the slices retain the heat!!
  7. Toast American Italian bread (you know the kind I mean that is in every grocery store and it really isn't Italian bread) slices (3/4' to 1" thick) OR use San Francisco Sour Dough Bread (toast or not toast).
  8. Spread bread (both pieces) with butter (I use my fave low fat).
  9. Spread thick slices of low fat Philadelphia cream cheese on top of the butter on each piece OR use provolone or mozzarella slices. 
  10. Put the warm eggplant slices on the cheese.  Douse with salt.  Again, I use Morton's Lite Salt. 
  11. Douse with Texas Pete or Tabasco.  (I am a transplanted Yankee and when I moved from there we didn't even have Texas Pete so I would have used Tabasco but now I am ensconced in the South so I use Texas Pete which actually has a better flavor)
  12. Add a slice or two of sweet onion or red onion on top if you wish.
  13. Put top piece of bread on and eat.
  14. Messy so have a lot of napkins on hand.  
I always take an acid reducer before I eat this.  NOTE: You can make this same sandwich with SLICED GREEN TOMATOES (and then you might an additional acid reducer) sliced 3/4" (approx) thick.  The cooked tomatoes will do more of a job on your stomach.  This is awesome!  I used to drink with beer but my stomach can't take it so I just drink water.  It doesn't go with wine or lemonade or tea. 

Enjoy. 

*I will pin this, tweet this and facebook this. 
Please, follow me on twitter address @christinewi_ where I post links to my food blog and other items of interest:  food, photography, travel, etc. 
About my food blog at http://www.internationalfoodblog.blogspot.com I like to write about food in context often with food of a country or area of a country, a news event, a soap opera, a horse race:  all focused on food and travel. 
You can find me on facebook and pinterest. 

I have fun!! You need to also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment