Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Product Review - Soy sauce - your enemy!!

  

  


While researching a recipe I found on-line I found the following: (I knew the search would be bad but it was worse than I expected)


  • Regular soy sauce runs from 1100 mg. of sodium per TBSN and UP!  If you use a cup in a recipe for 4 that computes to 17600 mg. of sodium divided by 4 servings equals 4400 mg of sodium per serving!!!!!!!!!!! 
  • Recommended DAILY dosage of sodium recommended by CDC:  500 to keep your body running correctly, 1500 recommended and 2300 max. 
  • CDC recommendation  (Be sure you scroll to the bottom of the page and read the links as to what sodium can do to your body!)
  • Conclusion is that the recipe I was researching has 3 x (yes three times) amount of recommended daily dose and about 2 x max sodium per day!!  (If you are losing the low amount of the full sodium soy sauce - 1100 mg. per tablespoon)
  • Next I research low sodium varieties of soy sauce.  I found 8 on a page - SEE LINK 
  • LOW SODIUM SOY SEARCH ON GOOGLE
  • The summary of the eight I clicked on ran under 700 which is more than half of 1100 mg. of sodium. Some numbers I ran into were 680/70/40% (40% lower but no claim on what the original number was)/575/and some of the products didn't even post the MG OF SODIUM!! Doesn't that tell you something? 
  • CAUTION: WHEN BUYING SOY SAUCE IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU READ THE SODIUM PER TBSN ON THE BOTTLE. 



No comments:

Post a Comment